[Haskell-cafe] confusion about cabal-install install

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Sat May 10 18:06:16 UTC 2014

On May 10, 2014 9:10 AM, "Brandon Allbery" <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 11:37 AM, Alexander Solla <alex.solla at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> But now consider:
>>
>>     $ cabal --version
>>
>>     cabal-install version 1.16.0.2
>>
>>     using version 1.16.0 of the Cabal library
>>
>>     $ which cabal
>>
>>     /home/ajs/.cabal/bin/cabal
>>
>>     $ /home/ajs/.cabal/bin/cabal --version
>>
>>     cabal-install version 1.20.0.1
>>
>>     using version 1.20.0.0 of the Cabal library
>
> This is why I keep, completely pointlessly, telling people to never ever
use `which`. It lies. But people want the lies and get confused when they
prove to be lies.

> Try `type cabal` --- NOT `which cabal` --- to see what is really going
on. Then use `hash -r` to fix it.

Off-topic, but I just read a recounting of a guy recovering a system from a
fork bomb, so he could only use shell builtins. And of course some sysadmin
had aliased type to which, hanging the shell.

So follow Brandon's advice, and don't alias type.