[Haskell-cafe] Templates as typeclasses?

Alberto G. Corona agocorona at gmail.com
Fri May 9 10:39:54 UTC 2014

Hi Mike, all.

Haskell prefer composability over inheritance. Composition is on site,
while inheritance can be hidden to the programmer and it can be too rigid.

What happens if I create my framework around a class template with header
and footer and later I need to program web services with it? I need to
create more classes for each particular problem and so on in the framework.
It is possible that these classes don´t fit the need of every particular
problem.

In the other side, a basic set of combinators can fit any problem. So
inheritance can become bad magic. While composability gives freedom.

For those of you that may not know about it, MFlow [1]  templates use
composition of formlets called widgets. A MFlow page has type:

View renderingFormat monad returnValue

It is made by the applicative and monadic composition of formets with the
same type.

I can have:

import MFlow.Wai.Blaze.Html.All

myTemplate body=  html <<< myheader **> body <** myfooter
   where
   myheader = ....
   myfoother = ...

with "html" a blaze-html combinator. "myHeader" and "myfooter" are widgets.
body is the parameter widget that I give to the template.

the operator **> ignores the result of the first term like *>

if whe define:

type Widget a= View Text.Blaze.Html IO a

then:

myTemplate:: Widget a -> Widget a

I can alternatively  do it using classes. I define a class:

class Template where
   header:: Widget ()
   body ::  Widget a
   footer :: Widget ()

data MyTemp a = .....

instance Template (MyTemp  a) where
..

myTemplate  mytemp= html << header mytemp **> body mytemp <** footer mytemp

It seems cumbresome, rigid and redundant to me, like many OO code..

What "header" means in that class? it includes also the html <header> tag
or it is simply some common html for all pages at the beginning? It is
probable that this class definition is not appropriate for all pages.
neither the combinator version. but with an EDSL I can create page template
variants faster for my particular problem.

But some particular problem can justify the creation of class templates in
order to enforce some requirements and make use of the extra level of
abstraction that it brings. As shown above, It is possible to do it in
Haskell and MFlow.

But this is not IMHO the right base design assumption for a  (Haskell) web
framework. It may be for some particular problem.

[1]  http://mflowdemo.herokuapp.com

Alberto.