[Haskell-cafe] cabal repl fails with GHC 7.8.2

Omari Norman omari at smileystation.com
Sat May 3 17:38:51 UTC 2014

On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 11:42 AM, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at gmail.com> wrote:
> This might be due to using an older cabal (i.e. 1.16) to build part of the
> packages that are now installed in ~/.ghc. If you blow away that directory
> (and reinstall your user-installed packages) that might help.

This package doesn't depend on any Haskell libraries that don't ship
with GHC. Doing

rm -rf ~/.ghc && rm -rf dist && cabal repl

doesn't fix anything--cabal repl still doesn't work with GHC 7.8.2,
but works with 7.6.3.

I do notice that under GHC 7.6.3, it seems that ghci itself links the
C object files and then the .hs files are interpreted, while under
7.8.2 it seems that the .hs modules are being built before ghci even
starts up.

Might this problem be arising because 7.8 switched to the system
linker? I don't know enough about linkers or about how GHC does
linking to make an informed guess.