[Haskell-cafe] cabal repl fails with GHC 7.8.2

Omari Norman omari at smileystation.com
Sat May 3 14:13:12 UTC 2014

I have a package for which "cabal repl" works fine with cabal version
1.20 and GHC 7.6.3.  The package has a lot of FFI bindings and uses
hsc2hs, so getting a REPL without "cabal repl" is a pain.  The package
also comes with the C sources that get linked in.

But with GHC 7.8.2, "cabal repl" fails with:

/usr/bin/ld: dist/build/decnumber/src/decDouble.o: relocation
R_X86_64_32S against `DPD2BIN' can not be used when making a shared
object; recompile with -fPIC

Any idea on how to fix this? "cabal build" and "cabal install" work
fine and I can even build and execute a test binary against the
library.  It seems the problem is just with "cabal repl".

Thanks.
Omari