[Haskell-cafe] strange error message

Kim-Ee Yeoh ky3 at atamo.com
Thu Mar 27 18:47:02 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 9:50 PM, Semen Trygubenko / Семен Тригубенко <
semen at trygub.com> wrote:

> (1) Why are we biasing the programmer to expect
> one thing (the function is wrong) and not the other (r is wrong)?
> I.e., would the programmer benefit from inclusion of the "alternative
> view" as well?

The error message isn't really pointing blame, it's just saying, "Yo, I'm
stuck at this stage of the inference algorithm so I'm sending the ball back
into your court."

But you do have a point.

That said, after a certain amount of experience with ghc, one learns to
quickly scan the errors for key bits. The 'alternative view' repeats
essentially the same info twice and including it doubles the amount of
spew-out.

-- Kim-Ee