[Haskell-cafe] Regular Expression Simplification

Peter Padawitz peter.padawitz at udo.edu
Fri Mar 21 12:53:22 UTC 2014

Hi Matias,

Kleene algebra involves the equations that are valid in the interpretation of regular expressions as word languages. So, however a simplifier of regular expressions is defined, its input and output should be equivalent w.r.t. those equations.

On the web page of my course on compiler construction (http://fldit-www.cs.tu-dortmund.de/ueb.html) you find a link to the Haskell module Compiler.hs, which includes data types, parsers and compilers for regular expressions. Among them is the algebra regNorm, which reduces regular expressions to a kind of additive normal form.

Best regards,
  Peter