[Haskell-cafe] Listing native package requirements based on cabal information

Alexander V Vershilov alexander.vershilov at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 12:48:24 UTC 2014

In Gentoo Linux we use a common ebuild format that allowes to add native
dependencies to packages.
To create a ebuild from cabal file we use tool called hackport [1].

This approach allow to bump dependencies when some authors are to lazy to
bump them themselves,
even in presence of pull requests, and add compatibility patches. Also it's
possible to create a desktop-icons,
additional files, filter test/bench programs that should not be installed
into system. Also it supports a dependency
on package flags and profiling.

However this approach doesn't scale on other distros in a easy way, one
possibility is to create static
packages using emerge, but this area require some more research.

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/hackport

--
  Alexander

On 18 March 2014 20:26, David Thomas <davidleothomas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to extract this?  I'm looking to make it easier for
> newcomers to my project to get things building across different linux
> distros.

Alexander