[Haskell-cafe] I seem to constantly abuse TypeFamilies; what do i really want?

Brandon Simmons brandon.m.simmons at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 20:32:12 UTC 2014

I've used TypeFamilies numerous times in code and library APIs to get more
powerful and creative type-checking, and I seem to always use it in the
same way that ends up feeling like abuse.

For instance here's an example I started to sketch up for a talk I'm
giving; this is to be a type-checked RPN calculator, used e.g. like `eval
() (1,(2,((+),())))`:

```
{-# LANGUAGE TypeFamilies , MultiParamTypeClasses , FlexibleInstances
 , UndecidableInstances
  #-}
type family EvaledStack x stack
type instance EvaledStack Int st = (Int,st)
type instance EvaledStack (Int -> x) (Int,st) = EvaledStack x st

type family FinalStack string initialStack
type instance FinalStack () st = st
type instance FinalStack (x,xs) st = FinalStack xs (EvaledStack x st)

class EvalStep x stack where
    evalStep :: x -> stack -> EvaledStack x stack

instance (EvalStep x st)=> EvalStep (Int -> x) (Int,st) where
    evalStep f (int,st) = evalStep (f int) st

instance EvalStep Int st where
    evalStep int st = (int,st)

class Eval string initialStack where
    eval :: initialStack -> string -> FinalStack string initialStack

instance Eval () st where
    eval st () = st

instance (EvalStep x st, Eval xs (EvaledStack x st))=> Eval (x,xs) st where
    eval st (x, xs) = eval (evalStep x st) xs
```

The code above is just a WIP, but notice several things:

1) It's intended to be "closed" but I can't express that
2) I need to use UndecidableInstances for the nested type family instances,
even though the recursion I'm doing is simple
3) The classes are "ugly" with arbitrary instance heads
4) If I want to support polymorphic operators/operands I need to use
OverlappingInstances, which is another layer of hack
5) Users get an unhelpful error from the type-checker if their RPN
expression is ill-typed

I think what I'm trying to do is fundamentally pretty simple, but I only
have the tools to do it in the very ad-hoc way I've described.

I think the new closed type families help me here, but I'm wondering:

- have there been any proposals or discussions about this use case, or a
name given to it?
- do closed type families provide an elegant solution and I just don't
realize it yet?
- do other people find themselves using this pattern as well, or have I
just gotten caught up in a strange way of abusing these extensions?

Thanks a lot,
Brandon