[Haskell-cafe] ANN: engineering-units-0.0.1

Douglas McClean douglas.mcclean at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 20:36:30 UTC 2014

You may also be interested in the various flavors of Björn Buckwalter's
dimensional library.

On hackage it's dimensional-tf (for type families, and my preference) or
dimensional (for multi-parameter type classes).

We are working on making a version that takes advantage of the new GHC
DataKinds features to provide even more features, that's at
https://github.com/bjornbm/dimensional-dk.

-Doug

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 4:26 PM, Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 4:03 PM, Iustin Pop <iusty at k1024.org> wrote:
> > Looking at your documentation, I see a lot of sense behind implementing
> > different units (Horsepower vs. Watts), but I'm not so sure about (for
> > example) g/kg or m/cm/mm. These are just (SI) scaling factors, so should
> > they be treated the same as individual units?
>
> Depends on if the difference shows up to the user. I've been using a
> calculator/scripting language (Frink) for years that has this kind of
> facility, and while I know that they are just scaling factors, I still
> treat them as different types of units. That may be because I grew up
> using imperial units, and inches/feet/yards/miles don't allow for
> being treated that way.
>
> > For just the scaling factors, I released last year
> > http://hackage.haskell.org/package/prefix-units, and I'm wondering if we
> > couldn't somehow combine these two libraries. After all, "k" applies
> > both to KG and KW :)
>
> Yes, but "KV" is not _always_ a kilovolt. When used on an electrical
> motor, it's a measure of how many thousands of RPM you can expect the
> motor to turn when for each volt of power it's fed. I'm hoping to get
> around to desiging the power system for a multirotor this year, and
> will be interesetd to see how various tools deal with this issue.
>
>    <mike

J. Douglas McClean

(781) 561-5540 (cell)