[Haskell-cafe] GSOC Project Ideas

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Tue Mar 11 15:27:31 UTC 2014

I'd like to point out that we also have a list of diagrams-related
projects here:

  http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Diagrams/Projects

Some (though not all) of them would make good GSoC projects,
especially those that push diagrams more in the direction of being a
useful general-purpose tool for other Haskellers, or result in
spinning off useful general-purpose Haskell packages.  Diagrams is a
lot of fun to work on and we had two successful diagrams-related GSoC
projects last summer (one creating an interactive diagrams pastebin,
http://paste.hskell.org/, which also resulted in spinning off several
libraries; and one adding a diagrams backend for the Chart library).

Some particularly good potential projects include:

  - Implementing a general graph-drawing library on top of diagrams
    (note this doesn't include doing graph *layout*, just drawing; but
    could include making it easy to e.g. use graphviz to do the graph
    layout and diagrams to do the drawing).

  - Converting SVG files to diagrams and/or improving diagrams' SVG
    output (optimizing the size of generated files, adding features
    like grouping for transparency, node ids, etc.)

  - Adding the ability to edit diagrams (e.g. "make everything black
    and white" or "make all the circles 50% bigger"); this is a big
    missing feature and would involve some fun gymnastics with zippers
    and lenses.

We're happy to discuss these or other ideas on the #diagrams IRC
channel.

-Brent