[Haskell-cafe] On Haskell IDEs

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Tue Mar 11 07:26:30 UTC 2014

On 11/03/14 07:19, Maxim Kulkin wrote:
> I played a bit with GHC API and Cabal (and even implemented .cabal support
> for hdevtools) and now I see issues with this approach:
>
> 1. GHC depends on Cabal (rly?) and this is most likely some old version of
> Cabal, not the one you use currently (e.g. I use cabal-install and Cabal
> 1.18, but GHC 7.6.3 -- the latest stable -- depends on Cabal 1.16). This
> makes it hard to develop tools that both use GHC API and latest Cabal.
> Hopefully this dependency will be removed in future versions of GHC.

Actually, 1.16 was the bleeding edge release when 7.6.3 came out so
technically it was new. Old compiler depends on an old version, I don't
see why you find this odd. 7.8 will ship with a newer version (whether
we like this or not).

Having said that, I don't think GHC API depends on Cabal API, does it?

--
Mateusz K.