[Haskell-cafe] Monad laws

Rafael Almeida almeidaraf at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 02:59:48 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 3:14 PM, Richard Eisenberg <eir at cis.upenn.edu>
wrote:

> On Jun 25, 2014, at 12:52 AM, John Lato <jwlato at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> The compiler makes assumptions about associativity when de-sugaring
> do-notation.  If the monad laws aren't followed, it's possible for these
> two blocks to show different behavior (given that a,b,c are all values of
> the misbehaved Monad instance):
>
> > do { a; b; c }
>
> > a >> b >> c
>
> I think everyone can agree that this is surprising, at the very least.
>  Although it's not the compiler that's generating bad code here.
>

> As far as I know, GHC makes no assumptions about associativity, or any
> class-based laws. The effect John observes above is accurate, but it is a
> direct consequence of the design of Haskell in the Haskell 2010 Report, not
> any assumptions in the compiler.
>
> Specifically, Section 3.14 (
> https://www.haskell.org/onlinereport/haskell2010/haskellch3.html#x8-470003.14)
> says that `do { e; stmts }` desugars to `e >> do {stmts}`. In the case of
> `do { a; b; c }`, that means we get `a >> (b >> c)`. However, in Table 4.1
> in Section 4.4.2 (under
> https://www.haskell.org/onlinereport/haskell2010/haskellch4.html#x10-800004.4),
> we see that (>>) is *left*-associative, meaning that `a >> b >> c` means
> `(a >> b) >> c`.
>
> Are the different meanings here an "assumption" of associativity? I
> suppose one could construe it that way, but I just see `do { a; b; c}` and
> `a >> b >> c` as different chunks of code with different meanings. If the
> monad in question upholds the associativity law, then the chunks evaluate
> to the same result, but they're still distinct.

Great explanation! Would you say that the main reason for implementing
monads so >> is associative is to make sure the do notation does the "right
thing"?

Monad is a notion from math which was imported into Haskell. As far as I
know, the reason behind it was to give Haskell the possibility of doing IO
while keeping itself pure. If there was a data type just like Moand, with
>>=, >>, return and all. It behaved  exactly the same, but no one cared
about identity or associativity, then it wouldn't be a monad, but it would
solve the computation with side-effects thing just the same. Why was
associativity and identity brought to the language as well? What is there
to be gained by such a law which can't be enforced by the compiler?