[Haskell-cafe] HSpec vs Doctest for TDD

Alois Cochard alois.cochard at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 12:50:18 UTC 2014

I'm not replying to you nor Michael Orlitzky.
I'm replying to Richard A. O'Keefe.

You can see that by looking at which message was quoted below my actual
response.
I hope it will make things clearer, because I'm actually not arguing at all
against what you are saying :-)

On 26 June 2014 13:44, Erik Hesselink <hesselink at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 2:24 PM, Bob Hutchison <hutch-lists at recursive.ca>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Jun 26, 2014, at 3:10 AM, Erik Hesselink <hesselink at gmail.com> wrote:

> certainly
> using
> enough,
> program

> matter [1].

> >> The same goes for any kind of testing, though. All these (writing the
> >> program, giving types for the program and testing the program) are
> >> different ways of specifying the same thing. The benefit from doing it
> >> twice in different ways, is that it's unlikely that you'll do it wrong
> >> twice *in the same way*.
> >
> > So, tell me about QuickCheck… why is this thing thought so highly of?
> (this is a rhetorical question, I don’t need an answer :-)
> >
> > The problem isn’t really the unexpected humming of a song. It’s
> answering 43 when you’re expecting 42.
>
> Are you replying to me, or Michael Orlitzky? Because I'm not sure what
> point you're making. I'm not arguing against the use of tests *or*
> types. I'm just saying neither is going to give you complete
> guarantees, but using either one is already much better than using
> none.
>
> Erik

*A\ois*
http://twitter.com/aloiscochard