[Haskell-cafe] HSpec vs Doctest for TDD

Bob Hutchison hutch-lists at recursive.ca
Thu Jun 26 12:24:41 UTC 2014

On Jun 25, 2014, at 6:53 PM, Johan Larson <johan.g.larson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone here actually done strict TDD?

Yes. Routinely. For many years. With many programming languages, including Haskell.

> I would expect strict TDD-based development (with no substantial design up front) to gradually build up a system from fuzzy ideas.

Why? Read Richard O’Keefe’s post from yesterday. Testing at the DSL level that he’s talking about is precisely where the tests in TDD exist. If it’s not a DSL it’ll be an API. In TDD, you do not test anywhere else. This includes regression test suites. There are constraints on an application’s architecture implied by TDD — you need an interface of some kind. If you feel testing at a more detailed level would be helpful when you write some part of the system, go ahead but delete those tests when you’re done.

A recent talk about what TDD is, and isn’t, is at:

http://www.infoq.com/presentations/tdd-original