[Haskell-cafe] HSpec vs Doctest for TDD

Alois Cochard alois.cochard at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 14:51:58 UTC 2014

For me TDD is highly overrated, and is abused as a buzz word by recruiter...

In the context of writing a DSL, how one can start by the test? It's just
impossible...

TDD is okay if you fix a regression... sure I always fix bug that way, I
start by creating a test that reproduce it... but I never ever do TDD when
designing something new...
>From my experience, usually people advocating TDD, are kind of person to
focus more the methodology than the actual technical challenge... it might
be what you are looking for... I don't.

On 24 June 2014 21:55, Gautier DI FOLCO <gautier.difolco at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm a huge fan of TDD (Test-Driven Development) et I used to use tools
> such as RSpec (Ruby). So naturally, I looked to HSpec, but it seems not
> idiomatic in Haskell.
> I have a bunch of questions:
> - Do you do TDD?
> - Which tools do you use?
> - Is doctest "better" (in some senses) than HSpec? Why?
> - Are HSpec and Doctest complementary? If so, in which case do you use one
> or another?
> - Is there some Haskell-specific good practices do to TDD?
>
> Thanks in advance for your lights.

*A\ois*
http://twitter.com/aloiscochard
http://github.com/aloiscochard