[Haskell-cafe] HSpec vs Doctest for TDD

Christopher Allen cma at bitemyapp.com
Tue Jun 24 21:24:24 UTC 2014

I don't have a problem with using TDD *and* type-safety to the full extent
of usefulness, but the lifecycle/process isn't what TDD experts would call
proper TDD.

I do use HSpec, very happily. The author has done a truly excellent job
with it.

Process is something like:

    write types, validate types
-> fill holes, validate terms against types
-> compose functions to see if results are sane, go back to 1st or 2nd step
if not.
-> Are there useful invariants QuickCheck can express? Write those first.
Repeat cycle as needed.
-> Decide on meaningful but compact functional/integration tests, repeat
cycle as needed.

Example HSpec tests (just functional/integration):
http://github.com/bitemyapp/bloodhound/

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 3:55 PM, Gautier DI FOLCO <gautier.difolco at gmail.com