[Haskell-cafe] what is basic Haskell?

Johan Larson johan.g.larson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 22:44:03 UTC 2014

What does a programmer need to know to be proficient in "basic Haskell"?

For my money, basic programming skills are those that are required to
write programs for simple tasks in the common idioms of the language.
This means the practitioner should be able to read input from the
terminal or files, select/combine/reformat data, and output a result.
At this point, efficiency isn't really the point; only getting to a
correct answer without writing anything really weird matters.

In LYAH, I'd put the boundary at the end of chapter 9, which covers
the IO monad. At that point the reader has studied functions, lists,
tuples, types, recursion, higher order functions, four major modules,
and algebraic data types. Actually, some of the later topics in
chapter 8 (functors, kinds, recursive data structures) seem more like
intermediate material.

Thoughts?

--
Johan Larson -- Toronto, Canada