[Haskell-cafe] Haskell on JVM (using LLVM backend)

Wojciech Danilo wojciech.danilo at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 02:26:21 UTC 2014

Hello! I was recently discussing with some frients possibilities of running
Haskell programs on JVM.
I belive such possibility could be a breakdown for the popularity of
Haskell and could be very interesting for new people and new
usage-scenarios.

I have seen some topics, like these:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7261039/haskell-on-jvm
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/GHC/FAQ#Why_isn.27t_GHC_available_for_.NET_or_on_the_JVM.3F
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2009-June/063454.html

but are a little old and do NOT mention the LLVM backend. If we've got the
LLVM backend in GHC right now, why cannot we just use something like LLJVM
to convert the LLVMIR into JVM bytecode?
I understand that the LLVM bytecode (optained from GHC) has all the
optimizations applied (including tail recursion expansion) so it **could**
be possible to just run it on JVM?

All the best,
Wojciech Daniło