[Haskell-cafe] How many Haskell programmers are there?

Mike Izbicki mike at izbicki.me
Mon Jul 21 05:27:51 UTC 2014

The lens package on hackage has almost 63000 downloads.  I think this
is probably a good approximation to the number of serious haskell
*installations* because even people who don't like lens probably have
downloaded packages that depend on it.  I suspect that very few
serious haskell programmers don't have lens installed.  (Packages that
ship with the platform, OTOH, won't get counted enough.)

Of course, this is not a good approximation for the number of haskell
*programmers* because many people will have multiple installs going.
For example, I have 4 installations (3 work + my laptop).  It's
probably best to think of this number as an upper bound.

If we assume that haskellers have on average two installations, then
we would come up with about 30000 haskellers.