[Haskell-cafe] Q about last&init

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 22:22:02 UTC 2014

Note: all of the options for playing with lists and queues and fingertrees
come with trade-offs.

Finger trees give you O(log n) appends and random access, O(1)
cons/uncons/snoc/unsnoc etc. but _cost you_ infinite lists.

Realtime queues give you the O(1) uncons/snoc. There are catenable output
restricted deques that can preserve those and can upgrade you to O(1)
append, but we've lost unsnoc and random access along the way.

Skew binary random access lists give you O(log n) drop and random access
and O(1) cons/uncons, but lose the infinite lists, etc.

Tarjan and Mihaescu's deque may get you back worst-case bounds on more of
the, but we still lose O(log n) random access and infinite lists.

Difference lists give you an O(1) append, but alternating between
inspection and construction can hit your asymptotics.

Lists are used by default because they cleanly extend to the infinite
cases, anything more clever necessarily loses some of that power.

-Edward