[Haskell-cafe] Memory consumption issues under heavy network throughput/concurrency loads

Gregory Collins greg at gregorycollins.net
Tue Jul 15 20:49:31 UTC 2014

+kazu, +Simon M

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 7:18 PM, Ben Bangert <ben at groovie.org> wrote:

> I have created a very simple TCP based echo client/server here:
> https://github.com/bbangert/echo

Ben, could you please tell us what sort of machine you are running this on?
Is it Mac, Linux, or Windows?

I took your test case and hacked it down to eliminate some possible sources
of error (I was suspicious of Handle for a while, also of an old space leak
bug in "forever" which I think is fixed now):

    https://github.com/gregorycollins/ghc-echo-leak-bug

The revised echoserver is fine on my machine (stable at 22MB resident) but *the
echo client leaks*. Happens with/without -O2 on GHC 7.8.3 for OSX.

Kazu, I think there's a good chance this is a bug in the multicore IO
manager, the test code is doing little more than write + read + threadDelay.

Gregory Collins <greg at gregorycollins.net>