[Haskell-cafe] Fwd: how to get ghci to load compiled modules in 7.8?

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 17:08:00 UTC 2014

I sent this to haskell-cafe, but there was no response.  On
stackoverflow there was no response either.  I'm trying one last time,
but adding ghc-users (which I should have done at the beginning!).
Surely it can't be that no one knows how to load modules in ghci?  I
know a lot of work was done to enable this, as in
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/DynamicByDefault, it seems a
waste if no one actually knows how to use it!

The 7.8.1 release notes make reference to -dynamic-too, and an
unexplained "Dynamic Ghci", but implies ghci should just work.  Do I
need to compile ghci myself in a dynamic way?  The DynamicByDefault
page also implies that, but I assumed the binary distributions would
come with it compiled the right way.

This has almost disabled ghci for my work (it can be used, but very
slowly and with much retyping of commands, and I find myself avoiding
the REPL now), so it's a big regression from 7.6!  I added another
paragraph from the stackoverflow question.  Also, I can't get this to
work on linux either, not just OS X.

BTW, I got a nice bump in my profiles after upgrading, so 7.8 is
mostly good news.  Just this one awkward thing keeps it from being all
good news.