[Haskell-cafe] Taking over setlocale

Sven Bartscher sven.bartscher at weltraumschlangen.de
Wed Jul 9 21:33:35 UTC 2014

Greetings,

I would like to take over the setlocale package. Following the steps
described on http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Taking_over_a_package I
need to state my intention on a public forum.

The original author (Lukas Mai) published his package in the Public
Domain. This would be fine, but the Author seems to be living in
Germany. The problem with that is that in Germany an author is not
allowed to give up his copyright in this way. This means the licensing
of the package defaults to "All rights reserved", making the package
undistributable.

I already tried to contact the author about this problem, but he didn't
respond in a week. This isn't a very long time, but I didn't get an
answer on past attempts to contact him (this was at least a month, but
probably more, ago).

To solve this problem, I rewrote the setlocale binding with the same API
under the BSD3-clause.

PS: Please keep the CC to Lukas Mai and the debian-haskell list
    intact.

Regards
Sven