[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Platform release schedule?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 13:21:44 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 9:18 AM, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 3:00 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> The Platform keeps getting stuck waiting for GHC. The skipped release was
>> because ghc 7.8 took some 6 months after "we plan to release just before
>> ICFP 2013"(!); now it's waiting on ghc 7.8.3 bug fixes, which were "should
>> be released by the end of the week" a couple of weeks ago. :( 7.8.3's bug
>> fixes are significant enough that it would be bad to release a platform
>> without them.
>>

> And we couldn't go with 7.6 because of some problems on newer OS X:es
> right?

Among other things, yes (ghc 7.6 needs to be patched to work with Xcode 5).
7.8 is supposed to improve some things on Windows as well; plus it'd be
nice to have 7.8's improvements in general. But the OS X issues are the
biggest user-facing ones, and come up pretty much every time someone tries
to install the current Platform on OS X.