[Haskell-cafe] Checking minimum package bounds

Omari Norman omari at smileystation.com
Sat Jul 5 19:37:14 UTC 2014

Often a topic of discussion is making sure that the upper bounds on one's
packages are up to date, or even whether upper bounds are a good idea at
all.

I don't see much discussion on lower bounds. Lower bounds that are
needlessly restrictive can get in the way too.  For instance, I could just
slap "text >= 1.1 && < 1.2" on my package, but this makes things needlessly
hard for someone trying to make my package work in conjunction with an
older one, especially if all I use are basic functions like "pack" that
have been around at least since, say. text-0.11.

Does anyone have a best practice for testing and verifying lower bounds?
Testing the lower bounds and the upper ones is a challenge.  Does anybody
bother? I have my sunlight package at

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/sunlight

but it is really a nasty hack.  I am considering cleaning it up so it is
less of a nasty hack but before I do that I wondered if anyone else has
ever thought about this problem.

Thanks.
Omari