[Haskell-cafe] Proposal: New mailing lists -- haskell-jobs & haskell-academia

Jose A. Lopes jabolopes at google.com
Fri Jul 4 12:55:03 UTC 2014

I agree with Ben.

People will just keep posting where they get the most audience. It won't
make a difference. Besides, the mail subject for a job posting is in most
cases enough to simply skip the email, in case you are not interested
in job postings (or studentships).

-1

On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 2:43 PM, Ben Gamari <ben at smart-cactus.org> wrote:

> On July 3, 2014 4:19:35 PM EDT, Alexander Berntsen <alexander at plaimi.net>
> wrote:
> >
> >On 03/07/14 21:38, Carter Schonwald wrote:
> >> could you take this bikeshedding about things that aren't haskell
> >> to a different list please :)
> >If it is inappropriate to discuss this here, where is this best
> >discussed then?
>
> I believe Carter was just making a joke although it can be tough to tell
> over such a lossy medium.
>
> With respect to the proposal, I agree with others that while splitting the
> list looks good on paper, in practice people will likely just continue
> posting where they can get the largest audience unless there are
> significant disincentives to doing so. Frankly, I don't find the traffic
> generated by any of the Haskell lists to be onerous so enforcing such
> disincentives doesn't seem worth the friction they might give rise to. -1
> from me.
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Ben

Jose Antonio Lopes
Ganeti Engineering
Google Germany GmbH
Dienerstr. 12, 80331, München

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Geschäftsführer: Graham Law, Christine Elizabeth Flores
Steuernummer: 48/725/00206
Umsatzsteueridentifikationsnummer: DE813741370