[Haskell-cafe] Unmaintained packages and hackage upload rights

Gershom Bazerman gershomb at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 18:11:30 UTC 2014

(ccing hackage admin alias directly, just to make sure the right people
are seeing all the emails)

I think there are two _different_ issues we've been conflating under
"taking over a package".

1) A package is genuinely unmaintained and it should be taken over by
someone else, and someone steps up. This is fine to take some time, in
my book. Our current process, as described by Johan Tibell, is
reasonable. It _should_ be easily accessible from the hackage homepage,
_and_ it should be on the haskell wiki. Perhaps the homepage could link
to a hackage FAQ on the wiki? Volunteers on any of this?

2) A package needs patching to work with the latest deps, and the
maintainer is unreachable, then we just want to upload a fixed version
soon. But who knows, maybe we don't want to take it over for good. Maybe
the maintainer is just on a monthlong vacation on a small island chain.
Maybe they're sick, or busy at work. This is the sticking point.

So maybe we could have a different policy on the latter. There are
people like Roman, Ben, others, who I feel like I sort of "know" from
their presence in the community, whether or not I've met them
personally. I'd feel comfortable letting trusted community members not
"take over" packages entirely without process, but use a more relaxed
process simply to upload simple patches for compatibility, etc.

Is there some way that we could create a "two process" approach -- one
for taking over a package, and a more relaxed one for trusted
individuals to fix things up easily?

--Gershom