[Haskell-cafe] Deprecating bytestring version 0.10.2.0

Christian Laustsen christianlaustsen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 18:01:51 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

Following some problems I experienced with Network.HTTP.Client.TLS, I found
out the problem was specific to bytestring library version 0.10.2.0 and
most likely fixed with this commit
https://github.com/haskell/bytestring/commit/86df1f17b2332940df69f484182c5c2cdd4c5bec
.

The default version shipped with GHC 7.6.3 (0.10.0.2) works fine, and the
version after 0.10.2.0 (that is, version 0.10.4.0) also works.

It was suggested that I mention on here that I think we should deprecate
the 0.10.2.0 version of bytestring specifically, since that is the one that
introduces the problem, and there can be problems with having to specify
specific versions of bytestring as a dependency when compiling across GHC
versions.

--
Christian // Tehnix