[Haskell-cafe] Unmaintained packages and hackage upload rights

Clark Gaebel cgaebel at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Jan 30 16:40:12 UTC 2014

How does the process of taking over maintenance add latency to your work?

1) Check out broken version of package.
2) Fix locally, bump version number locally.
3) cabal sandbox add-source ../fixed-package in any package that needs the
fixed version.
4) Email hackage admins for upload rights.
5) Continue working on your actual project.
6) Receive upload privileges one day.
7) Upload fixed package.

As far as I can tell, the only real latency cost here is that paid to fix
the broken version.

Regards,
  - Clark

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 11:30 AM, Roman Cheplyaka <roma at ro-che.info> wrote:

> In the recent past I took over two unmaintained packages: bert and
> ansi-terminal. I don't mind spending a bit of time to keep our ecosystem
> from bitrotting.
>
> However, both times I had to go through an irritating procedure of
> contacting hackage admins, asking them to grant me upload rights,
> explaining why the maintainers can't do that themselves and why I think
> the packages are abandoned.
>
> Instead of a feeling that I'm doing something good and useful, I have
> a feeling that I'm bothering people with my own problems. It also adds
> unnecessary latency to my work.
>
> So from now on I'll simply fork the packages I need to fix.
>
> Others are of course welcome to use my forks.
>
> (This email was prompted by regex-tdfa which doesn't build on GHC 7.8,
> and whose maintainer hasn't responded. My fork is at
> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/regex-tdfa-rc .)
>
> Roman

Clark.

Key ID     : 0x78099922
Fingerprint: B292 493C 51AE F3AB D016  DD04 E5E3 C36F 5534 F907