[Haskell-cafe] To LLVM or not to LLVM...

Ian Ross ian at skybluetrades.net
Tue Jan 28 10:10:28 UTC 2014

A package I just released (arb-fft) gets about a 17% performance boost from
using GHC's LLVM backend (on my machine at least).  That seems a big enough
gain that I put "-fllvm" into the ghc-options field in the Cabal file for
the package.  Unfortunately, that means the package won't install unless
you have the LLVM tools installed.

What's the best thing to do?  Use the native code generator by default and
add a Cabal flag to install using LLVM?  Just take the "-fllvm" out and add
a note to the Cabal file description to tell people to install using LLVM
if they have it?

A quick survey of packages on Hackage reveals only very few instances where
the "-fllvm" flag appears in Cabal files, which makes me suspect that I'm
doing it wrong.

Ian Ross   Tel: +43(0)6804451378   ian at skybluetrades.net
www.skybluetrades.net