[Haskell-cafe] Haddock changes pushed upstream

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 04:59:18 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 5:37 PM, Mateusz Kowalczyk
<fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk> wrote:
> * Bold markup added. The syntax is two underscores around what you want
> bold. Note, we still do not support multi-line markup. It's possible but
> it's a design choice not to support it.

This is all great, but I have a concern about this one.  Do we really
need more than one kind of emphasis?

Actually, mostly what I don't like is the / markup, because slashes
are common, e.g. URLs and paths, and it's a pain to escape them all
the time.  Messed up formatting due to forgetting a backslash is very
common in my docs, and I've even seen it in GHC docs as well.

I would prefer to swap /s for *s because *s seem less common, but of
course that would break stuff.  And I'm sure there are people out
there who like using /s for emphasis, so we don't need to repaint that
bikeshed.  But at least we can avoid adding even more special
characters you need to remember to escape.  And bold emphasis seems
like it's redundant with italics emphasis.