[Haskell-cafe] hpaste.org is expiring

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 00:22:06 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 6:12 PM, Rob Stewart <robstewart57 at gmail.com> wrote:

> If no-one is able to pick up this domain, could hpaste be moved with
> the haskell.org infrastructure, i.e. hpaste.haskell.org ?

I think you might be a little confused as to what is going on? The point is
keeping a name alive that is widely linked so that those links don't break.

hpaste,org is the old (and widely linked) name of what is currently
lpaste.net. This serves more than the Haskell community; while it might
make sense to have *a* name for it in the haskell.org namespace, it may not
be appropriate for that to be the *only* name --- and in any case, that
question would be applicable to lpaste.net, not hpaste.org. (And then we'd
have the same problem anyway as there are existing links to lpaste.net that
people would want to keep live.)

[Semi-aside: apparently Central Michigan University tried at one point to
claim that they should have the cmu.edu domain because they were more well
known than Carnegie Mellon (the .edu registrar has procedures for this).
Eventually someone pointed out to them just how many computer science links
go to cmu.edu, and that they would be obligated to handle those links in
some way that did not bring down on them the wrath of many, many people.
Arbitrarily breaking links is a bad thing on the modern Internet.]