[Haskell-cafe] off-topic question: how well do you think linguistic relativity applies to PLs and programming?

KC kc1956 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 00:36:47 UTC 2014

I would say it is more the concepts one uses than the programming language
that has an effect on the programmer.

After learning one OOP language it is not that hard to pick up another OOP
language
BUT
Functional programming concepts have such a wide array (pun intended) of
expression that it was hard for university graduates to use another
university's functional programming language; which was why Haskell came to
be. :)

Casey

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 10:14 AM, Ömer Sinan Ağacan <omeragacan at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I recently got myself thinking about programming languages and their
> effects on programmers. I already knew that concept of "linguistic
> relativity" (  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_relativity  )
> and I was thinking that this may be relevant with programming too,
> although I don't have any concrete evidence. I was wondering if anyone
> else also find that idea of programming language's effect of the
> programmer interesting. Do we have any research on that kinds of
> things?
>
> Thanks,

Regards,
KC