[Haskell-cafe] Hacking GHC's Stack for Fun and Profit (featuring The Glorious Haskell Debugger v0.0.1 Pre-alpha)

Tim C. Schroeder tim at blitzcode.net
Mon Jan 20 12:54:40 UTC 2014

Hello,

I have developed various profiling and debugging tools in the past, but haven't done any work in that direction for GHC compiled Haskell programs. I thought a good start might be to write a document detailing how the call stack works in GHC, and also write a basic debugger stack trace tool. Here:

https://github.com/blitzcode/ghc-stack

I hope this is helpful to people trying to pin down crashes, and people interested in working on debugging / profiling tools. I'd also really appreciate if somebody with more GHC / RTS knowledge than me would have a look and see if I got things right.

Cheers,
Tim