[Haskell-cafe] Help with Binary Serialization

Joey Eremondi jmitdase at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 20:17:13 UTC 2014

I was wondering if somebody could talk me through the default derived
format for binary serialization used, either by binary or by cereal.

I'm trying to share data between Haskell and another function language
(Elm) which also supports algebraic data types, so the conversion of data
should be pretty trivial. I'd like to be able to just derive encode and
decode in Haskell using either binary/cereal, and then write a parser for
the same format in Elm. The trick is, I don't know what that format is.

Is there any documentation on it, or if not, is anybody familiar enough
with it that they could explain the format to me?

Thanks!