[Haskell-cafe] ANN: castle 0.1.0.0

Eric Rochester erochest at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 20:24:35 UTC 2014

I'd like to announce the first release of castle (
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/castle and
https://github.com/erochest/castle). From the README:

> I really like having sandboxes baked into cabal-install<http://hackage.haskell.org/package/cabal-install>(see Cabal
> Sandboxes <http://coldwa.st/e/blog/2013-08-20-Cabal-sandbox.html> for
> more information).
>
> I got tired of waiting for big packages like Yesod<http://www.yesodweb.com/>and
> Lens <http://hackage.haskell.org/package/lens> to compile in project
> after project that used them. However, I still didn't want to install them
> in the user database. I wanted to maintain *some* sandboxing among a
> group of projects that all share a common set of packages, but I wanted to
> be able to switch from them or upgrade them easily.
>
> That's the itch I was trying to scratch with castle.
>
> It allows you to share one Cabal sandbox between multiple projects. This
> keeps the package versions for all of these projects in line. It also means
> that you don't have to constantly be re-installing everything, but you
> still get the ability to blow away a set of packages without borking your
> whole system.

This tool is still pretty rough around the edges, but I've been using it
some, and it's to the point that more feedback would be helpful. Let me
know what bugs and rough patches you find.

Thanks,
Eric