[Haskell-cafe] Licenses and dependencies

Ben Foppa benjamin.foppa at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 18:44:49 UTC 2014

Many permissive licenses (I'm specifically looking at MIT and BSD3) include
a clause that the license file must be included in distributions of the
source or the binary. It seems to me that if I have a project on Github,
that qualifies as redistribution of the source. My questions are thus:

Do I need to include the license files from all my dependencies in my
Github repository?

Does having them listed as dependencies in my .cabal file "implicitly"
include them?

Does making a project "PublicDomain" only refer to the code contained in
that project, or would it (unintentionally and unlawfully) give
distributors of that source code the freedom to not include the BSD3/MIT
license files from dependencies?

Essentially my goal is to waive all intellectual property rights to most of
my Haskell projects, to the extent that, were I to unintentionally sign
away my intellectual property, my open-source contributions would be safe -
what's the easiest way to do this?

Thanks,
Ben Foppa