[Haskell-cafe] Altering Class hierarchy

Frantisek Farka frantisek at farka.eu
Thu Jan 9 17:41:51 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I was toying with Haskell classes and came across
Functor-Applicative-Monad proposal[1]. It shows out that adding
a super class (Applicative) to a class (Monad) is not an easy task when
the class hierarchy is already in use.

In this case it result in stepwise approach (step1 e. g. [2]) in order
not to break already existing code which uses Monad.

I am interested in other examples of such changes. Which alterings of
your class hierarchy do you usually need when rewriting your code? I
don't mean only adding superclass here, other modifications could be
also handy, e. g. dropping out a class or splitting a class into two.

Can you point me to some actual examples on real source code? How do
you deal with this kind of problem on your projects?

Thanks for a reply :)

FF

[1]
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Functor-Applicative-Monad_Proposal