[Haskell-cafe] Why Maybe exists if there is Either?

Vlatko Basic vlatko.basic at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 15:26:58 UTC 2014

Hi Johannes,

I thought there was some "more important" reason than convenience, so I asked. :-O)

I put String because I'm currently thinking about error handling, and Left
String is the usual way of reporting failure, and I see Maybe as a type for
reporting errors, failures and similar.

Somehow it looks to me that famous "8 ways to report errors in Haskell" could be
shortened by one if Maybe is replaced with Either (with appropriate synonyms, of
course).

vlatko