[Haskell-cafe] Right approach to profiling and optimizing a concurrent data structure?

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 01:49:52 UTC 2014

First, be aware of https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/8453, which
causes programs compiled with -threaded and -prof to occasionally die with
an assertion failure (there are a few other, possibly related, tickets
about rts problems with -threaded and non-vanilla ways).

Next, define what you mean by "faster": more throughput?  Lower latency?
 Something else?

One approach is to build with profiling and try to optimize the functions
exposed by your API.  You could do this on one core.  The optimizations
you'd get from this would be generally useful, but they wouldn't be
optimizations to reduce contention.

To look into contention issues, I think the best way is to build with the
eventlog enabled and use threadscope.  This will show pretty clearly where
threads are blocked, for how long, etc.  I've also had success with timing
actions within my test executable and adding that information to the
eventlog with Debug.Trace.traceEventIO.  Then you can see that information
within threadscope, or grep it out of the eventlog for extra processing
(min/max/mean, that sort of thing).

Running with -N1 can be faster because there essentially is no contention:
only a single Haskell thread will be executing at any given time.  If -N1
is markedly faster than -N2 (as in, the runtime is longer to complete the
same amount of work), I would try debugging with Threadscope first.

One example of a test driver I used is
https://github.com/JohnLato/kickchan/blob/master/bench/bench_t3.hs .
(KickChan is similar to a bounded Chan, but heavily biased towards fast
writes)

I'd appreciate any further suggestions also.

John L.

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 5:19 PM, Brandon Simmons <brandon.m.simmons at gmail.com