[Haskell-cafe] Intercept stdin in Haskell

Andrew Gibiansky andrew.gibiansky at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 00:45:32 UTC 2014

You are a saviour!

We'd actually already tried going down this path with takeMVars and
putMVars, but somehow it didn't quite work. Let's see if this works in
practice in IHaskell!

Working program below:

import Control.Concurrent
import Control.Monad
import GHC.IO.Handle
import GHC.IO.Handle.Types
import System.IO
import System.Posix.IO

main = do
  -- Create a pipe using System.Posix and turn it into handles.
  (readEnd, writeEnd) <- createPipe
  newStdin <- fdToHandle readEnd
  stdinInput <- fdToHandle writeEnd

  -- Store old stdin and swap in new stdin.
  oldStdin <- hDuplicate stdin
  hDuplicateTo newStdin stdin

  -- In a separate thread, wait for the read.
  forkIO $ forever $ do
    let FileHandle _ mvar = stdin
    threadDelay $ 200 * 1000
    empty <- isEmptyMVar mvar