[Haskell-cafe] [ANN] profiteur: a tool to visualise GHC .prof files

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Tue Feb 25 19:08:45 UTC 2014

On 25/02/14 19:01, Jasper Van der Jeugt wrote:
> I uploaded a new version (0.1.1.0) which works with the `yi.prof` file
> you provided.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Peace,
> Jasper
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Great! The way profiling output analysis is now is a huge pain in the
>> ass. I'm very glad to see that something new is up.
>>
>> I did want to try it but I can't get it to run: on ghc-20140225, aeson
>> fails to compile so that doesn't work. I did manage to compile it with
>> 7.6.3 but after trying to run it on a profiling output I had lying
>> around, it failed with:
>>
>> /home/shana/programming/yi/yi/yi.prof: Failed reading: takeWith
>>
>> You can find the file in question at [1] (~1.4MB). I'm most eager to try
>> this out so it'd be great if you could have a look.
>>
>> Are there plans to support on-line rendering? I find it very useful to
>> be able to see the profiling output as the program is running.
>> Previously I ended up having to periodically (~5 sec) generate the
>> postscript file and then have the postscript viewer watch it for
>> changes. It was very cumbersome but it sometimes worked. It'd be great
>> if your software could do something like this!
>>
>> Are flags other than -p supported? I know that it's possible to get
>> different profiling output, such as on size of allocated structures &c.
>>
>> [1]: http://fuuzetsu.co.uk/misc/yi.prof
>>
>> --
>> Mateusz K.

That indeed lets me load up the file. Now I notice a problem with the
rendering itself. When I open the generated file, the rendering on of
the whole thing keeps twitching: what's happening is that your model
realises there's some space still left so it tries to resize to maximum
space available _but_ it resizes too much and scrollbars appear (making
the whole thing ‘jump’ slightly). It then notices that it in fact
doesn't fit inside the window and goes a bit smaller. Scrollbars
disappear (so it jumps again) but then it notices that there's some
space left and so on and so on… It's the same behaviour in Firefox and
Chromium and resizing my browser window doesn't seem to affect it, it
keeps toggling between slightly-too-small and slightly-too-big.

--
Mateusz K.