[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Platform website error

Roman Cheplyaka roma at ro-che.info
Wed Feb 19 21:34:35 UTC 2014

* Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> [2014-02-19 15:12:24-0500]
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 2:41 PM, Lindsey Kuper <lindsey at composition.al>wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 10:45 AM, Roman Cheplyaka <roma at ro-che.info>
> > wrote:
> > > * Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> [2014-02-19 10:09:30-0500]
> > opened
> > later.

> > > What do you mean, specifically? Lindsey said she had sent a pull
> > > request. What else could she do?
> >
> > I don't think Brandon was implying that I should have done anything
> > differently -- I think he just meant that the project might benefit
> > from another person to merge pull requests, as evidenced by the fact
> > that it took a while for mine to get merged.
> >

> Yes. Or, even more to the point, it's run by volunteers and it is as
> responsive as the available time from the available volunteers; if you want
> faster responses, you need more people with more available time to put into
> it.
>
> (Volunteer projects are almost invariably chronically short on manpower to
> get stuff done.)

My point was that people *are* willing to help. It's not the case that
they are just demanding.

I'm sure that if Mark (or whoever is responsible for that page) called
for help to review and merge pull requests, people would respond.
Daniil Frumin has offered his help even without such a call.

Manpower does not appear to be the issue here. Rather, people are not
given an opportunity to help.

See also http://ro-che.info/articles/2014-02-08-my-haskell-will.html.
I think HP ought to have a backup person (or even a team).

Roman