[Haskell-cafe] manage effects in a DSL

Corentin Dupont corentin.dupont at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 14:50:06 UTC 2014

Hi guys,
I'm still exploring some design space for DSLs, following our interesting
discussion.

I'm trying to write the evaluator for the DSL (see below).
For the general case, the evaluator looks like:

eval :: Nomex r a -> State Game a

This eval function takes an expression (called Nomex), that can possibly
have effects.
It returns a state monad, to allow you to modify the game state.

But for effectless instructions, it would be better to run the evaluator in
the reader monad:

evalNoEffect :: Nomex NoEffect a -> Reader Game a

So you can have additional guaranties that evaluating your expression will
not have effects.
I tried (see below), but it doesn't work for the moment:

> {-# LANGUAGE GADTs #-}
> {-# LANGUAGE KindSignatures, DataKinds, ScopedTypeVariables,
>   MultiParamTypeClasses, FunctionalDependencies, FlexibleInstances,
UndecidableInstances #-}

> module DSLEffects where

> import Control.Monad.Error
> import Control.Monad.State
> import Control.Monad.Reader
> import Data.Typeable

This is the DSL:

> data Effects = Effect | NoEffect

> data Nomex :: Effects -> * -> * where
>   ReadAccount  :: Nomex r Int                --ReadAccount has no effect:
it can be run in whatever monad
>   WriteAccount :: Int -> Nomex Effect ()  --WriteAccount has effect
>   SetVictory   :: Nomex NoEffect Bool -> Nomex Effect () --SetVictory
don't accept effectful computations
>   Bind         :: Nomex m a -> (a -> Nomex m b) -> Nomex m b
>   Return       :: a -> Nomex r a  --wrapping a constant has no effect

> instance Monad (Nomex a) where
>   return = Return
>   (>>=) = Bind

> noEff :: Nomex NoEffect ()
> noEff = return ()

> hasEffect :: Nomex Effect ()
> hasEffect = do
>    a <- ReadAccount
>    WriteAccount a

> data Game = Game { victory :: Nomex NoEffect Bool,
>                    account :: Int}

> eval :: Nomex r a -> State Game a
> eval a at ReadAccount    = liftEval $ evalNoEffect a
> eval (WriteAccount a) = modify (\g -> g{account = a})
> eval (SetVictory v)   = modify (\g -> g{victory = v})
> eval a@(Return _)     = liftEval $ evalNoEffect a
> eval (Bind exp f)     = eval exp >>= eval . f

> evalNoEffect :: Nomex NoEffect a -> Reader Game a
> evalNoEffect ReadAccount  = asks account
> evalNoEffect (Return a)   = return a
> evalNoEffect (Bind exp f) = evalNoEffect exp >>= evalNoEffect . f

> liftEval :: Reader Game a -> State Game a
> liftEval r = get >>= return . runReader r

This is not compiling:

exceptEffect.lhs:60:15:
    Couldn't match type 'NoEffect with 'Effect
    Inaccessible code in
      a pattern with constructor
        WriteAccount :: Int -> Nomex 'Effect (),
      in an equation for `evalEffect'
    In the pattern: WriteAccount a
    In an equation for `evalEffect':
        evalEffect (WriteAccount a) = modify (\ g -> g {account = a})

It seems that the type of effectless computations (NoEffect) leaks in the
type of effectful ones (due to the pattern matching)...

Thanks,
Corentin