[Haskell-cafe] A new yaml module

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Mon Feb 3 15:40:06 UTC 2014

Hi,

Am Montag, den 03.02.2014, 10:23 -0500 schrieb Brandon Allbery:
> On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 3:57 AM, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com>
> wrote:
>         * There are problems with roundtripping, since YAML allows for
>         ambiguity about the data type of values[2]. For example, in
>         the yaml snippet `foo: 1234`, is 1234 intended to be numeric
>         or a string? Either is valid.
>

> YAML is a pretty accurate representation of Perl values, so this is
> inevitable. I'm left wondering if YAML is even appropriate for
> Haskell....

I’m left wondering if “is ... even appropriate for Haskell” is even
appropriate. If the task to be solved is „Generate data in this
particular format“, and picking the format is not part of the task, then
we still want the language of our choice to be appropriate, don’t we?

YAML may be an inappropriate choice of serialisation format if we are
free to chose and there is only Haskell code involved.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner