[Haskell-cafe] Encoding for flow charts

Richard Wallace rwallace at thewallacepack.net
Sat Dec 27 04:16:33 UTC 2014

Thanks for the reply.  That is an interesting alternative I hadn't
considered.  What I end up with applying it to flow charts is something
like the following

    data FlowChart m a where
      Decision :: m Bool -> FlowChart m a -> FlowChart m a -> FlowChart m a
      Done :: m a -> FlowChart m a

    runFlowChart :: FlowChart m a -> m a
    runFlowChart (Decision cond falsePath truePath) = cond >>= \c ->
runFlowChart (if c truePath else falsePath)
    runFlowChart (Done a) = a

    s0 = Decision testS0 s1 s2
    s1 = Done s1Result
    s2 = Done s2Result

This is simpler than what I was trying to do. It should have all the same
benefits as well. I'm going to give this a spin and see how it goes. Thanks!