[Haskell-cafe] Template haskell: This pattern-binding binds no variables

adam vogt vogt.adam at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 18:55:18 UTC 2014

Hi Michael,

I think it's a bug. Maybe the fix is similar to the one done for
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/9127.

Assuming you only need that unique name ('ohNoes :: Name) after you
bind it with the let, you can avoid the warning with:

sample :: Q Exp
sample = [| let ohNoes = "Teh warning!"
            in print $( varE 'ohNoes ) |]

Or you could use letE instead of the brackets, as we had to with ghc <
7.8 when PatQ splices were added.

Regards,
Adam