[Haskell-cafe] cabal-install on openbsd

Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan ram at rkrishnan.org
Fri Dec 19 08:32:40 UTC 2014

Hi,

I have a new OpenBSD 5.6 installation on AMD64. The OpenBSD package
collection has ghc 7.6.3 and Cabal-install 1.16.0.2. After installing
them, I attempted to install a new version of cabal-install using the
packaged cabal-install by doing `cabal install cabal-install'. But I get
a "ghc: out of memory (requested 1048576 bytes)" error while it is
compiling cabal-install 1.20.0.3.

I have a ticket created against ghc but I wonder if it is a bug with ghc
or cabal-install or OpenBSD or something else. Anyway.. the ticket is
here [1]. I can help debug the problem on my OpenBSD box.

Thanks
Ramakrishnan

[1] <https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/9904>