[Haskell-cafe] how to handle FILE* with c2hs

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 15:51:58 UTC 2014

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 10:44 AM, Donn Cave <donn at avvanta.com> wrote:

> You could move that logic into Haskell, as illustrated in a previous
> follow-up, but I can't think of any direct interface between C FILE
> and Haskell Handle, and I guess that because of the essential internal
> nature of the two, that's to be expected.  (Or maybe I just don't
> know where to look!)

About the only one is the underlying OS file descriptor; GHC's runtime
implements its own native file handles, it does not wrap C stdio, and you
cannot round-trip between a stdio (FILE *) and a GHC Handle.

Using the file descriptor should work on both POSIX and Windows, as long as
it's an ordinary file (that is, not a device, fifo, socket, directory
(netbsd/freebsd), mailbox, etc.). You will need to use fdToHandle /
handleToFd on the Haskell side and fdopen()/fileno() on the C side; the
Haskell ones will ensure the buffers are properly dealt with, the C ones
you must make sure to do so yourself.