[Haskell-cafe] Why does Haskell PVP have two values for the major version? "A.B..." and a couple other questions

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 10:36:09 UTC 2014

Hi!

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 2:42 AM, Zach Moazeni <zach.moazeni at gmail.com>
wrote:

> A concrete example: If I make backwards incompatible changes to a package
> whose latest version is 1.0.x, should the next version be 2.0.x or 1.1.x?
> What sorts of things should I consider for choosing 2.0 over 1.1 and vice
> versa?

Unless you really change the API drastically I recommend bumping the B
component.

> Another question, by far most packages I have encountered either lead with
> a 0 or a 1 for "A". Does that have some bearing on the long term stability
> that package users should expect in the future?

This is something that happens a lot in open source, in Haskell or
elsewhere. We We programmers are afraid of calling something 1.0, because
that somehow means "done", which we never (think we) are. :) Lots of really
stable Haskell libraries (e.g. containers) are still on version 0.X.

-- Johan